Friday, July 27, 2018

NUUK, GREENLAND AND ICEBERGS

We arrived in Nuuk, Greenland early on another rainy morning.  Nuuk is the capital of Greenland and its largest city.  It is also the suicide capital of the world, with a suicide rate 24 times that of the United States. Greenland is a really large Island, approximately 2 million square km in size.  It became an autonomous constituent country within the Kingdom of Denmark  after being discovered by the Vikings in the 10th century.


On a day like this I can understand it.  We walked off of the ship and decided it was not for us, so I took my pictures from the decks.

The port was filled with containers on both sides of the waterway, though there was not much activity this early in the morning.


                      A fisherman returned home with his catch followed by a flock of gulls.


 

From the deck of the ship, my view was limited, most of the town was up the hill to the left.  But I could see 2 tall building in the distance and brightly colored buildings that looked like apartment houses - a common form of government housing in Greenland.


A main road curved up the hill lined with more apartment houses. From those who took the trip,          there were single family homes over that hill.  Since there are no roads in Greenland, except here almost all of the estimated 2,570 cars in the country are here in the capital.
                                    


               I moved to the Aft deck where I saw this navy ship moored at the dock.


                   There I spent my time joining photos to make panoramas.


When we pulled up anchor later in the day I spotted these two old fishing boats on the shore.


    As we left Nuuk, the fog increased.  The snow on the mountain top from the previous storm.
                                                 

And lower on some of the many Islands.       

As we got further south, the icebergs became numerous.  We sat of the aft deck to watch the passing scene.
I can't think of a better place to be on a cold day (except on a mountain skiing - but those days are   
in the past!)

 

                                   This huge iceberg made me think of a whale on the surface.

                                            The colors of these ice bergs were lovely.


                                                                  A shell on the beach??



              Seeing this Iceberg traveling behind the off shore rocks I thought was special.

No comments: