In the old Jewish section of Cordoba one would find synagogues transformed into churches.
The old streets were narrow and winding, lined with shops and restaurants in places.
Rounding a corner one might encounter a lovely patio and home such as this one.
The last remaining Synagogue was built in a former Mosque and retains a lot of the old plaster decorations.
The Mezquita which was built on the site of a Roman temple, was started in 784 AD and took 200 years to build. It became the 2nd largest mosque in the world.
The Mezquita de Cordoba is most notable for its giant arches and its forest of over 856 (of an original 1,293) columns of jasper, onyx, marble, and granite. These were taken from the Roman temple which had previously occupied the site and other destroyed Roman buildings.
The ceiling is a maze of intricate angles where the arches are joined.
The entrance to the "mihrab" (Islamic prayer room) is adorned with Byzantine mosaics and bordered by Koran inscriptions done in gold.
In 1236, Cordoba was captured from the Moors by King Ferdinand III of Castile and rejoined Christendom.
King Alfonso X oversaw the construction of the Villaviciosa Chapel and the Royal Chapel within the structure of the mosque. The kings who followed added further Christian features.